Wednesday, May 28, 2008

AWA...Africa Wins Again...

Hey yall!! I'm officially in Africa. Safe and sound in Kumasi after the craziest day of travel ever. We left RDU at 6 a.m. and got to the JFK airport at 7:30. Matt, the most amazing travel partner ever, and I then sat in the JFK terminal until 5 that night! We sat on the plane for an hour before take off and then on the way to Accra, Ghana we were told that we had to make an unexpected stop in Dakar, Senegal because we needed fuel. That is always the thing you want to hear on a plane over the ocean. [haha] On the plane I met some cool families going to Ghana to visit family and friends. I also met Rachel, a four year old little girl in a pink dress. I thought she was the most precious kid I had ever seen. When they turned off the lights in the plane for everyone to sleep, Rachel decided to turn into a screaming banshee!! Needless to say, I got maybe 20 minutes of sleep on my 12+ hr night flight Anyway, we landed safe in Accra, got our bags after what seemed forever, went through customs smoothly, and met Whitney, Lauren, and Emma outside! From the airport we took a taxi to the bus station where we got on a bus to Kumasi. About 15 minutes into our trip the bus stops and the driver comes back to inform us the bus has overheated and we are waiting for another one to pick us up. Well we finally got to Kumasi over 6 hours later [it was only supposed to take about 4] This was an AWA moment. The title of this post, AWA...Africa Wins Again..., is the saying that we as a group have adopted using whenever something doesn't go exactly right. We got to our host families home and met our house mom, Agnes, and her son, Ben. They are amazing! I love them already.

I love Africa.

I'm running out of time, so I will have to continue this part of the trip the next time we get to use the internet... until then, I love you all so much...thanks for reading and continue to pray for our trip!

No comments: